Sunday, May 10, 2009

Little Brother


I first heard of Little Brother while I was living in Texas (late '02/early '03). The internet was buzzing about them, but I didn't know much about downloading, so I got on Limewire and downloaded like 3 tracks. That's all it took, though, because I was hooked after hearing them. It took me about a month to download the entire album (lol) due to a crappy connection and not much availability but, when I did get the whole thing, the CD stayed in rotation for about 5 months straight. I mean, I didn't play anything else during that period -- car, iPod, whatever...it was all LB all day. I was floored by the production and the two rappers -- Phonte and Pooh -- were on some "have fun with it" type of vibe. I pretty much bought anything with their name on it from that point. Fast forward to 2009 and I still call this one a classic. They hadn't been well worn by the industry yet and their music reflected that. That element is what's missing from subsequent releases, in my opinion, but I'll forever be thankful for this overlooked gem. Flawless from top to bottom.

The Listening [ABB Records 2002]

1. Morning feat. Chaundon
2. Groupie Pt. 2
3. For You
4. Speed
5. Whatever You Say
6. Make Me Hot (Interlude)
7. The Yo-Yo
8. Shorty On the Lookout feat. Median
9. Love Joint Revisited
10. So Fabulous feat. L.E.G.A.C.Y.
11. The Way You Do It
12. Roy Lee, Producer Extraordinaire (Interlude)
13. The Get-Up
14. Away From Me
15. Nobody But You feat. Keisha Shontelle
16. Home
17. Nighttime Maneuvers
18. The Listening

No comments:

Post a Comment