Sunday, June 1, 2008

Blackalicious



Blackalicious is one of the first groups, along with People Under The Stairs, that I used to make my case when it came to downloading being a good promotional tool for artists. I mean, let's face it, freeloading bums are freeloading bums -- before downloading came along, they were dubbing tapes and CDs. Leeches will be leeches regardless, but those of us that actually buy the music use it as sort of a test drive for unknown artists. Back in 2000, after checking them out because they were recommended to me, I was bumpin' their shit but couldn't find it any store I went to. Being in college at the time and residing in Middle Of Nowhere, Virginia may have had something to do with that, but I used Napster (back when it was free) to obtain Blackalicious and P.U.T.S. albums. I then proceeded to buy up all the material I could find from that point (online, of course). That being said, I guess my point is that downloading exposed me to a lot of dope material back in the day that I probably would've never heard otherwise. I mean, the acts I checked out rarely ever promoted or toured on the east coast back in '99/'00 (and still don't, if I'm not mistaken) and were all but alien to me until their names were dropped on a forum or two. Nia was the first album I ever downloaded and I was totally surprised by it. Up until then, I thought Cali rap was just a bunch of gangster posturing and palm trees. Anyway, this is where I began my search and I hope it's just as enlightening for others as it was for me. Enjoy.

Nia [Quannum Projects/Subverse Music 2000]

1. Searching
2. The Fabulous Ones
3. Do This My Way
4. Deception
5. A To G
6. Cliff Hanger
7. Shallow Days
8. Ego Trip by Nikki Giovanni
9. You Didn't Know That Though
10. If I May
11. Dream Seasons
12. Trouble (Eve Of Destruction)
13. Smithzonian Institute Of Rhyme
14. As The World Turns
15. Reanimation
16. Beyonder
17. Making Progress
18. Sleep
19. Finding

No comments:

Post a Comment