Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Rhyme & Reason


Rhyme & Reason is a movie I've never seen before. I do remember it coming out after The Show did so well. I figured it would be similar and went and snatched it up when it dropped. I remember not feelin' it when I first played it and banishing it to the dusty realms (aka my CD racks). I think I went about 4 years without never giving it a chance when one I day I popped it in out of curiosity. It's actually pretty good. I think my tastes had evolved between listens. Anyway, it's a soundtrack, and the guest list definitely reads like one. The all-over-the-place lineup kind of takes away from the cohesion. It's still pretty cool to hear current rhyme slingers like Sean Price, Ras Kass, and Canibus rhyme with hunger. I think RZA's "Tradgedy" is a classic cut and Mack 10 & Tha Dogg Pound collaborate on the only single I'm aware of -- the bangin' "Nothin' But The Cavi Hit." The production swings from your typical 90's styled east coast underground to thumping Cali styled bass. The album is great in sections but, like I said before, the lack of cohesion kind of keeps it from being the home run that it should've been.

Rhyme & Reason - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack {1997 Priority Records}

1. Nothin' But The Cavi Hit - Mack 10 & Tha Dogg Pound
2. Wild Hot - Busta Rhymes & A Tribe Called Quest
3. Reason For Rhyme - Eightball & MJG
4. Uni-4-Orm - Ras Kass, Heltah Skeltah, & Canibus
5. Bogus Mayn - Crucial Conflict
6. Every Year - E-40
7. Tragedy - RZA
8. Represent - MC Eiht
9. Niggaz Don't Want It - The Lost Boyz
10. Bring It Back - KRS One
11. Is There A Heaven For A Gangsta? - Master P
12. Liquor Store Run - Volume 10
13. The Way It Iz - Guru, Kai:Bee, & Lil' Dap
14. Business First - Nyoo & Decoca
15. No Identity - Deliquent Habits

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this one. I've been looking for the E-40 track off this one for a while.

    ReplyDelete