Saturday, January 26, 2008

Colors Soundtrack


I found this bad boy at a Salvation Army in Martinsburg, Wet Virginia. Since I don't really dig the newer stuff as much as I used to, I usually go hunting for old stuff that I never copped as a kid but always wanted. This album falls into that category and I think it cost me all of $2.00. I'd say it was worth every penny. The lineup is pretty tight and there are some classics to be found here (Raw, Paid In Full, Colors...to name a few). The thing I found odd about the soundtrack is the fact that even though the movie was about gang violence/culture in California, the hip hop artists on this soundtrack (with the exception of Ice T and 7A3) are all from New York. I mean, if you take away Eric B & Rakim, Salt & Pepa, & Ice T, you basically have a Juice Crew album on your hands (Kool G Rap & Polo, MC Shan, Roxanne Shante, & Big Daddy Kane appear on 4 out of 10 tracks) with a few scattered r&b/dance joints sprinkled about. Go figure. I guess it's just a sign of the times. The east coast pretty much dominated everything from the inception up until the mid 90's. With that being said, don't expect much west coast rap from this set.

Colors - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack {1988 Warner Bros. Records}


1. Colors - Ice T
2. Six Gun - Decadent Dub Team
3. Let The Rhythm Run - Salt & Pepa
4. Raw - Big Daddy Kane
5. Paid In Full [Seven Minutes Of Madness Mix] - Eric B. & Rakim
6. Butcher Shop - Kool G. Rap & DJ Polo
7. Mad Mad World - 7A3
8. Go On Girl - Roxanne Shante'
9. A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Waste - M.C. Shan
10. Everywhere I Go (Colors) - Rick James

1 comment:

  1. Hey man. Thanks for the Colors SDTK. I loved this when it came out and after years of collecting Psychedelic Rock Albums I am getting an itch for HEAVY OMINous Synth Rap.. (is there such thing?) Do you have any recommendations? They dont need to be mainstream just Dark.

    ReplyDelete