Saturday, January 26, 2008

EL-P


For me, EL-P is kind of hit or miss. When he makes a beat that hits, it really hits. But when he makes a bad beat, it's really bad. That's just my take though. Fantastic Damage is one of his releases that hits. I mean it really hits. Lyrically, it's nothing out of this world. It's the production that stands out the most here. The best way I can think to describe it would be "mechanical" with sprinkles of that old boom bap. I'm not sure if that quite covers it, but I'm not really sure if there is a way to accurately describe this LP. I can't front, when I first heard it, I dismissed it as headache inducing noise...now I can't get enough of it. There are some nice guest appearances as well. Names like Mr. Lif, Aesop Rock, Ill Bill, Camu Tao, and Rob Sonic can be found in the list of credits along with a few others. Enough rambling from me though. If you dig the Def Jux sound, you'll love this album. In my mind, it's a progression of the Funcrusher Plus sound. It's one of those albums that people either love or hate though. There don't to seem to be too many in betweeners out there.



Fantastic Damage {2002 Definitive Jux Records}

1. Fantastic Damage
2. Squeegee Man Shooting
3. Deep Space 9mm
4. Tuned Mass Damper
5. Dead Disnee
6. Delorean
7. Truancy
8. The Nang, The Front, The Bush, and The Shit
9. Accidents Don't Happen
10. Stepfather Factory
11. T.O.J.
12. Dr. Hellno and The Praying Mantus
13. Lazerfaces' Warning
14. Innocent Leader
15. Constellation Funk
16. Blood


No comments:

Post a Comment