Friday, August 22, 2008

Common Sense


I think the first time I ever heard of Common Sense -- or, Common, to you noobs -- it was back in the summer of 1992 when I saw his video for "Take It EZ" on the video jukebox channel. I was instantly hooked on the guy after that. He'd later release dope singles like "Breaker 1/9" and and the ill remix for "Soul By The Pound" which strengthened his rep in the the underground, but his debut album didn't really sell many units. Can I Borrow A Dollar? boasts production from The Beatnuts, 2 Pc. Dark, Twilite Tone, and Immenslope -- you know Immenslope by his more popular name; No I.D. Lyrically, this incarnation of Common Sense is way different from the guy the world knows for albums like Be and Finding Forever. He hadn't grown up yet, so this album tends to capture the essence of a young b-boy that chases shorties and guzzles 40s. It's a very fun listen and should come as a bit of a surprise to those just getting on the Common Sense bandwagon. Enjoy.

P.S. -- Since he had to change his name (for legal reasons), I included a snapshot of the original cover for anyone at all curious. It's the same as the one above, but with the "Sense" included.



Can I Borrow A Dollar? [Relativity Records 1992]


1. A Penny For My Thoughts
2. Charms Alarm
3. Take It EZ
4. Heidi Hoe
5. Breaker 1/9
6. Two Scoops Of Raisins
7. No Defense
8. Blows To The Temple
9. Just In The Nick Of Rhyme
10. Tricks Up My Sleeve
11. Puppy Chow
12. Soul By The Pound
13. Pitchin' Pennies

No comments:

Post a Comment