Monday, January 28, 2008

Insomnia: Erick Sermon Compilation


So, I'm over on Wake Your Daughter Up when I spot a LOTUG video for "What I'm After." After watching it like 10 times straight (lol), I spot Keith Murray's "It's That Hit" in the menu bar. I don't know about anyone else, but I fuckin' love that song along with the other single from that album -- Redman's "Funkorama." Remember how videos used to be low budget and still come off extra lovely? Maybe I'm just old, but now it seems like the bigger the budget, the poorer the video. Enough with the mini tangents though. I went and dug up "Funkorama" and I put both videos just underneath the track listing. Back to the album though. In my book, Erick Sermon is one of the best producers in hip hop/rap history. This entire album (obviously) is produced by him. It's not his best stuff in terms of production, but his C level stuff was better than a lot of other producers A level material. The rhymes are supplied by the usual Def Squad suspects -- Redman, Keith Murray, Erick Sermon, Jamal -- as well as lesser known acts from their various offshoot crews (PPP, L.O.D., etc). The lesser known acts are decent, but you can kind of hear why they stayed in the background. They aren't bad, but they don't jump out at you or wow you in any way either. Just for clarification purposes, I feel it necessary to mention that the Tommy Gunn listed on this album is not the M.I.C. rapper Megalon (Megalon uses "Tommy Gunn" as an alias). The Tommy Gunn on this album passed away back in 1996 just before the release of this album.

Insomnia: The Erick Sermon Compilation Album [Interscope Records 1996]

1. Intro
2. Funkorama - Redman
3. The Vibe - Xross Breed
4. As The... - Passion
5. Beez Like That (Sometimes) - Jamal & Calif
6. It's That Hit - Keith Murray
7. Up Jump The Boogie - The Wixtons
8. Caller's Interlude
9. I Feel It - L.O.D.
10. On The Regular - Duo
11. Fear - Tommy Gunn
12. Ready For War - Domo
13. Reign - Erick Sermon

1 comment:

  1. the wixtons with the biggie sample is sweet... how about the bondigi remix with erick sermons in the beginning saying "plesae please listen to my demo , please please lieten to my demo" Just mad Ill son!

    ReplyDelete